Boards Emblazoned with Large Gilt Arms of the British East India Company [British East India Company]. Charter of the 8th of January, 1753; Being the Twenty-Sixth of King George the Second; Establishing Courts of Justice, And a Military Force in the East Indies [caption title]. [London, c. 1758]. 50 pp. Folio (14-1/4" x 9-1/2"). Contemporary calf, rebacked in period style, gilt fillets to board edges, large gilt arms of the British East India Company to centers of boards, gilt-edged raised bands and retained existing lettering piece (reading "Charter. 1783") to spine, marbled endpapers. Light rubbing and a few minor stains and shallow scuffs to boards, moderate rubbing to extremities, some chipping to spine ends, boards just beginning to separate, but secure. Light toning to text, somewhat heavier in places, light soiling to upper margins of a few leaves. $5,000. * The Honourable East India Company, or British East India Company, was established in 1600 as a trading company. It became the engine that drove the expansion of the British Empire into India and other parts of Southeast Asia. The Charter of 1753 marked the company's transition from a strictly commercial enterprise to a de facto government of British colonies in India. The other two charters reflect this transition of power from the crown to the company. They are: Charter of the 19th of September, 1757, Being the 31st of George the Second, Granting to the Company a Moiety of the Plunder and Booty, Taken from the Nabob of Bengal" and "Charter of the 14th of January, 1758, Being the 31st of George the Second, Granting to teh Company booty and plunder, Taken in the East-Indies." Our volume includes an index. There are to be a few versions of this book with different sets of charters. Ours is identical to a copy at the University of Pennsylvania. It is not listed in the ESTC. Pickett's Bibliography of the East India Company, Entry 860, cites it as part of a compilation of charters without a title, conjecturally dated 1772, of which one copy is known, at the British Library.
Book number 68821