The City Charters and Geographical Boundaries of Bristol, England [Bristol (England)]. Bristol. The City Charters. Containing the Original Institution of Mayors, Recorders, Sheriffs, Town-Clerks, And All Other Officers Whatsoever. As also of a Common-Council, And the Ancient Laws and Customs of the City. Diligently Compar'd with, And Corrected According to the Latin Originals. To which are Added, The Bounds of the City, By Land, With the Exact Distances from Stone to Stone, All Round the City. Bristol: Sold by Felix Farley, 1736. 297,  pp. A few errors in pagination, text complete. Copperplate frontispiece. Final advertisement leaf. Quarto (9-1/2" x 7-1/2"). Contemporary paneled calf, rebacked in period style, lettering piece and gilt-edged raised bands to spine, endpapers renewed. Moderate rubbing to boards and board edges, corners bumped and somewhat worn. Moderate toning, a few leaves somewhat darker, occasional light foxing to margins, minor worming to margins in a few places with no loss to text, early owner signature (of Marmaduke Coules) to recto of frontispiece. $850. * Only edition. Includes details on the recently completed 1736 survey indicated by the exact location of some 74 boundary stones on the Gloucestershire side and of 29 on the Somersetshire side. One example: "Stone 1. On the bank of the River of Avon, near a limekiln, on the East, and a sluice on the West, call'd Woodwell's-Lake, standeth the first stone." This is indeed the only edition; a copy at the Ransom Center at the University of Texas, Austin, with a suggested date of "1735?" must surely be a mistake. OCLC locates 12 copies in North America, 3 in law libraries (Harvard, University of Minnesota, University of Pennsylvania). English Short-Title Catalogue T143949.
Book number 69477