The Distribution of Tithes in a Small Town in Devon, England [Manuscript]. [Great Britain]. The Charters of Crediton, To Which Are Annexed Certain Decrees. Crediton, c.1800.  ff. Folio (14-1/2" x 9-1/2"). Contemporary diced and mottled calf, gilt frames to boards, gilt spine, marbled endpapers, gilt edges. A few light scuffs and scratches to boards, section of calf worn away from lower corner of rear board, rubbing to extremities with wear to spine ends and corners, joints cracked. Decorated title page and text in elegant calligraphic hand within ruled margins. Light toning to text, light soiling to title page, underlining to a few passages, marks in pencil to margins of a few leaves. $1,250. * Crediton is a small town in Devon. It was a bishop's seat from 909CE to 1050. The town flourish from the 13th to mid-18th centuries through the manufacture and trade of wool cloth. Today, it is a suburb of the city of Exeter. At the time this manuscript was compiled Crediton was governed by a body of commissioners. Free from corrections and lightly marked by a user, our manuscript was likely produced for one of these men for a meeting concerning the distribution of tithes. It contains three sixteenth-century town charters, a judgment of the Attorney General's Court from 1624 concerning the distribution of tithes and "A Statement of Facts Concerning the Administration of the Crediton Tithe Trust," which cites documents from the 1624 judgment to 1799.
Book number 71152